The “Season of Women” special focus continues…
“One Billion Women Violated Is An Atrocity.
One Billion Women Dancing Is A Revolution.”
That got my attention. I was googling for information about domestic abuse, in my usual overly-earnest commitment to follow through on what I promised in my personal “Season of Women,” to raise my awareness and hopefully do something about violence against women and girls. I found my way to www.onebillionrising.org.
ONE BILLION RISING IS:
- A global strike
- An invitation to dance
- A call to men and women to refuse to participate in the status quo until rape and rape culture ends
- An act of solidarity, demonstrating to women the commonality of their struggles and their power in numbers
- A refusal to accept violence against women and girls as a given
- A new time and a new way of being
Video: [warning, tears may be associated with viewing]
Since launching this special focus I’ve found myself in the usual conversations–the ones where everyone describes an atrocity suffered personally or by someone we know, and together we swirl down a depressing spiral, feeling the problem but failing to find solutions. After all, what can one person do about a problem so deep, so wide, so global?
Oh yes, brothers and sisters. There IS something we can do. WE CAN DANCE!
If you are in Madison, come to the Madison Rising. (Details below.)
If you are elsewhere, look for a Rising near you.
- When: 5 pm on Thursday, February 14, 2013
- Where: Madison, WI (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details)
- Who: One Billion Women and Those Who Love Them
- What: Public Dance ( Flash Mob)
- Why: To support our sisters around the planet (and around the block) by showing that we refuse to accept violence against women and girls as a given; it is time to create a new way of being. (www.onebillionrising.org)
- Join us ahead of time at one or both public rehearsals to learn the dance (to whatever degree you’d like, we can accommodate everyone!)
- Saturday, Feb. 9, 11am at Tapit Studio, 1957 Winnebago Street (street parking available; please enter studio through back door, off of Russell St.)
- Monday, Feb. 11, 5:30pm at the Tai Chi Center, 301 S. Bedford St, Suite 219 (street parking available; please don’t park in the lot)
Can’t make the rehearsals but still want to dance? No problem, here’s a video. Come on, Madison…rise up and dance!
Locally sponsored by Moving from Within, http://www.movingfromwithin.net
Questions? email Dianne at email@example.com